Thursday 24 August 2006

Answers to How and Where - Part 2

Question 4 ~ I found a devil's toe nail

When my daughter was small we lived in Leicestershire near Charnwood Forest. We had bought a new house from a developer of a green field site. Digging to create a new garden brought to the surface these fossilissed bi-valves which the local children called, no - believed were devil's toe nails.

The photograph on the left shows the one we kept which measures 4 cm.
The picture on the right for comparison is from
www.geocities.com

I am no geologist, but my understanding is that through a process of uplift and erosion, the Precambrian 600 million year old rocks were brought to the surface in this area of the midlands, which led to these fosils appearing to thrill and scare the children.

1 Comments:

Blogger apprentice said...

I found one on Lyme Regis beach, but it's part encased in rock and I've never had the courage to liberate it. Wonderful things though. I also found a vertebrae of something there

Saturday 26 August 2006 at 23:17:00 BST  

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment ... all comments are moderated and will be published soon.

<< Home