Sunday 16 July 2006

Pit Stop

I am on a very long journey.
I am traversing the maze I referred to in 'Leave well enough alone'.
Kafka knows what I am on about.
So I thought I would stop by for some refreshment.
Refreshment is putting it out on my page, out of my head, frustrations and fears laid down in the written word.

It is the same for everyone who is disabled in England; you think you have sorted the problem out and left the maze behind, only to find you are at the beginning of another one.
Because it is an endless journey.

In order to use the laptop I need internet security protection.
That is why I am in the current maze.
I cannot slash through the maze with a machet.
I have to follow it, no matter how tired, dazed, daunted I am.
When I have found the route through the maze to the centre, I will find the solution to the current problem, and it will point to the way out of the maze, which will be long.

Then I will be out of this maze.
And ready for the next one.

Which is called Social Care & Health v.1 Adaptations (remaining skirmishes), and the one after that which is called The Benefits System, and after that SC&H v.2 Fairer Charging Review, then SC&H v.3 Direct Payments Review, then SC&H v.4 Care Review, SC&H v.5.a Direct Payments subsection 2 Employment of Staff, v.5.b.DP spreadsheet financial summary update (via email so not just yet), v.5.a.subsection 3 Payroll (via email ditto).

I think it is called 'Independent Living'.

I am getting too tired to keep doing this on my own.

Today is the first of two 'down days' from the neuro-toxic drug that has prolonged my life(without which survival rates for Systemic Lupus were 12 years from onset) so maybe it will all feel different in a day or two - the maze hedge will only be 3ft high not 12ft so I will clearly be able to see the way out.

Meet me at the other end would you !

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welfare and health organisations in this country have never recoverd from the 1834 Poor Law Act.

That was the one that said it must be made as difficult as possible to apply for any help, and as unpleasant as possible to receive it, and it must be as inadequate as possible. All to save money.

Despite the efforts of many good people in the field, that attitude has never completely gone away.

Keep fighting for your rights.

Monday 17 July 2006 at 09:58:00 BST  
Blogger Lily said...

Hi Sally, I have trouble getting through mazes too. Meet you in the middle for a picnic?

Tuesday 18 July 2006 at 23:04:00 BST  
Blogger spotted elephant said...

We'll be here.

Wednesday 19 July 2006 at 01:49:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Thank you all.
Charles, so right, so true. Do you think the degree/training courses for OTs and social workers even discuss the foundations of social responsibility? I doubt whether the elected councillors who decide local budget allocations know as much about the politics of social care as we crips do.

Hope - a picnic sounds just the thing - and we will always be in the middle of some maze or other.

Spotted Elephant - thank you, its good to know.

Friday 21 July 2006 at 22:09:00 BST  

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment ... all comments are moderated and will be published soon.

<< Home