Friday 6 October 2006

That was almost the last straw, said the Camel

No surgery next week. Postponed. That is all you need to know. What follows is for the record.

The Neuro unit admissions secretary rang me at mid day today, trying to trace a blood test result - a fairly crucial one to do with blood clotting. The blood test result got re-routed without leaving sign posts behind. Location A - GP surgery - took the blood sample and sent it to B Pathology lab who sent it to C Path Lab because B did not have the facilities. C Neuro unit asked C Path Lab for the results. Can't, they said, you will have to ask A. C Neuro secretary rang Sally, Sally rang GP at A, A asked B, who said C hasn't sent us the results yet. GP asked C for the results, but C said they hadn't received the sample from A. GP asked Sally to check it out, knowing Sally is very capable and persistant, and didn't have a surgery full of Friday afternoon patients to deal with as the GP had. Sally rang B who said sorry we didn't send it to C we sent it to D Path Lab. Sally rang D, who said they had sent the results to B ten days ago. Sally spoke to B who would not speak to Sally, only Sally's GP. Fine then, ring my GP. B rang A and left a message for GP. GP rang me. GP rang B and D and asked them both to fax results to C Neuro. I rang Neuro.

By which time, Neuro said it was too late. I have no problem with Neuro's decision, I am in their hands and if the anaesthetist is not happy then I am happy to wait until he is.

The blood test result was normal.

So, being a philosophical camel, I now cancel all the arrangements made, re-make all the arrangements cancelled, and wait.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a very calm, even-tempered blog, all things considered!

Saturday 7 October 2006 at 09:26:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Yes - but I had done the indignant (slow) stomping around the house in tears before I blogged it !

Saturday 7 October 2006 at 18:48:00 BST  
Blogger spotted elephant said...

Oh, Sally. That's the sort of situation in which I marvel at people who don't start screaming and howling (I would).

I hope that is all behind you, and everything goes smoothly next time.

Sunday 8 October 2006 at 03:46:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Thanks SE - as you see, screaming and howling (as you would) WAS my first reaction, blogging it second. I like your visits and appreciate your presence.

Monday 9 October 2006 at 12:17:00 BST  

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment ... all comments are moderated and will be published soon.

<< Home