Thursday 10 May 2007

Thunked



Charles Dawson memed me for this award which I am chuffed about, but the link to The Thinking Blogger Award is so very slow it makes me wonder whether it is constipated. It is very reassuring to have feedback and so I am happy to make my own Thinking Blogger Award to the following five people who may display the Award on their page and move the Meme on to make their own Thinking Blogger Award to another five bloggers who make them think.

(CogDysfunck'd Sally Thinks: now I have to work out how to get the Award displayed on my side panel.)

A new-to-me Blogger found via Blogging Against Disablism Day: Andrea's BADD post about Colony Collapse Disorder. To quote the Queen Bee herself: "You can always tell you've learned new things or taken thoughts into new directions when your brain feels as stretched out of shape as socks you've worn for two days." Also a theory close to my heart is her post Cyborg Cool -v- Crip Pity. Every post is a gem - she has connected me to those times and makes me think into situations when I have felt society dis-ease in The Privilege of Being Clouted by a Cabbage.

I have been reading Wheelchair Dancer to connect to and think about how much I miss dancing. I was thrilled by the Ballet Rambert decades ago, and last year I experienced for the first time the CanDoCo dance company.


Wheelchair Dancer has expanded my understanding of the interaction between dance company members and how dance is brought to fruition. After the performance of the CandoCo I was entranced to see in the foyer on the trendy sofas, two young girls (presumably from a dance class brought along to the matinee) working through the movements of the wheelchair user when he was not using his wheels. By thinking how they would dance without using their body below their hips, they seemed to me to be doing what the Wheelchair Dancer has described in her posts about interaction between the dance company members. That had me thinking for many days.

Blogging Mone has expanded my thinking of the deaf community and how sensory impaired people are dis-abled by society. Also, the subject of deafness is connected to my very early childhood memories. My favourite Uncle's Mother was profoundly deaf and she had a very hairy black Scotty Dog who I remember sitting next to me and, sat down as we both were, he was as tall as the toddler me and he always made me sneeze. I know now he was just using me as a leaning post ... sorry I digress, the point is - as a very young child I was taught how to enunciate my words clearly and face her so that she (the Uncle's Mother not the Scotty; see last paragraph below) could lip read me. She always rewarded me with a smile and communicated with me, which I as a small child had to concentrate on, as her speech was different due to her profound deafness. At my very young age it was unusual to be given that much attention by an adult and I remember her for that communication particularly fondly. That memory would not have been recalled without Blogging Mone making me think about it.

A few years ago in an attempt to overcome the effects of my tinnitus in crowds, I thought lip reading classes would help. There I learned that lip reading is hugely difficult, yet it was being offered as an adult education class for one hour a week. Hopelessly inadequate but was it better than nothing ?

Also, I am indebted to Blogging Mone for her feedback of German equivalents or comparisons to my own posts' topics, and her valued comments always lead me to thinking on my own subject further, taking it on a stage further.

Spotted Elephant at The Bipolar View makes me think of things that perhaps a woman in her fifth decade living a relatively protected rural life in England, might otherwise never have been given the insight and links to think about. I am thinking: feminism, p.o.r ... .g.r.a.p.h.y (my attempt at thwarting such searches finding this site) . Also, I am indebted to her for bringing me back to thinking about my father's bipolar disorder which was mis-managed in the 1950s/60s and caused me a difficult childhood. Thinking on her blog has redeemed aspect's of my father's influence on me.

I wanted to include Quaker Dave, the Quaker Agitator but needless to say he has already received the Award, so its just going to have be Bumble.

Bumble, well I think about Bumble a lot. One week he is throwing his hay around in a very adolescent way, and the next he is orating with the best of them. Getting to know and understand Bumble through his regular Monday slot on Spotted Elephant's blog has expanded my thinking of the animal world, not just companion animals, but all animals that we interact with. They are thinking about us and figuring out ways to interact and communicate with us, either to protect themselves from us, or to protect us from ourselves. Dogs and cats are relatively straightforward in comparison, as are chimpanzees.

Thanks Charles !

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

Andrea the Queen Bee has emailed me with the correct hyperlink to 'Clouted by the Cabbage' - Thank You Andrea.

She says: "It is always heartening to hear that someone out there gets something out of my bloggery."

And so say all of us !

Saturday 12 May 2007 at 11:31:00 BST  

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment ... all comments are moderated and will be published soon.

<< Home