Monday 12 February 2007

The Jinx May Be Over, For Now


This picture on my laptop desktop, is placed here to celebrate finally being back in the land of the living, connected to this essential bit of life; the wonderful www and blogging. This is from my garden looking west/north/westnorthwest. Not a recent picture as I don't have a camera, well not yet.

I have been at this damned laptop (with meal and sleep breaks of course!) for three and half days, after IBM finally backed down and sorted everything, the engineer replaced the hard drive, ensured the wireless adapter worked, and that this time he had put every screw back in the right place and in the right order. Then the broadband security didn't like the look of the new operating system and sulked, until I found a lovely BT technical chap in India who took over my computer remotely and un-glitched the security glitches. That took most of today: from 12.37 to 19.10. We had to keep giving each other 'comfort' breaks. Weird. He: and how is your weather today please? Me: Very windy, rain, but mild, about 6 degrees C. How is your weather ? He: oh yes it is very wet we have it raining too and when it is not raining it is hotter but now it is colder in the rain. ( Wonderful !)

So, here I am - Fingers, toes and anything else cross-able, crossed; quietly sneaking back in, hoping the fiendish gods who have been on my back these last few weeks, don't know I am up and running, and attempt more jiggery-pokery on my life.

On the way to the library twelve days ago to use their online facilities, (as then I was still awaiting resolution of all laptop problems) I met a neighbour hobbling, who I had seen days before at the hopsical, and we exchanged the usual: "take care". If only I had taken notice ...

I bashed my car. Never did make it to the library. Nothing dramatic. Travelling at less than 2 mph in reverse gear I touched a bit of metal protruding out from the post I was maneuvering round to get into the disabled bay that was partially blocked by a county council library van. My whole rear windscreen crumpled silently into a million pieces, held together by my countryside alliance stickers and a blue badge expanded to A4 size with the message '3 metre access ramp - keep clear' which was totally ineffective in keeping 3m of tarmac clear, but held the glass together pretty well. When the glass shattered I didn't hear or feel a thing. Weird. However, when I called the library van driver over and told him, yes politely honest, that he had caused this, he slammed shut my car door, and the whole rear windscreen collapsed into the van all over (and into) my wheelchair. I crumpled. Tears, shaking, felt very sorry for myself, and a little afraid. Then thought: hang on, this is not on - so I phoned the police for assistance - and they were wonderful and helpful and stayed with me until the RAC arrived.

Three hours later, home, for the duration, without a vehicle to transport my wheelchair, I was stuck. The hire car, arranged through Motability, was designed for salesmen on motorways as an extension of themselves, and it offended me but I did enjoy the mighty acceleration and it got me to Southampton very smoothly for my Neuro osteoma check up - but the electric wheelchair stayed behind and my PA had to push me in a NHS manual chair - a shock to both our systems and not smooth.

And the washing machine broke down.
And two of my three pairs of specs broke.

Always look on the bright side of life (anyone got tickets for 'Spamalot' ?) ...

If my claim against the county council is successful, and they have already, readily, admitted the library van driver was at fault and the metal post was making life difficult for disabled people trying to use the disabled bay; not only will that pay the insurance excess ('cos my Income Support certainly won't) there should be enough for a decent digital camera.

Silver linings and all that.

Busy few days coming up, so it will be some time before I can catch up with everyone, but bless you faithful ones who have been visiting while I have been gone.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger BloggingMone said...

Hi Sally, good to have you back! Now that was bad luck, but if they are really going to pay for the damage plus a camera, it would not have been too bad in the end.
Isn't it strange that if one thing breaks down, at least two or three others will do so as well? Must be one of these Murphy's laws.

Tuesday 13 February 2007 at 17:03:00 GMT  
Blogger Lily said...

That must be your quota of gremlins for 2007 or at least for the first quarter! I wish you plain sailing and lots more beautiful skies from now on. Welcome back!
Lol, guess what the word verification for today is....nckrd !

Tuesday 13 February 2007 at 19:54:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

Hi BMone and Lily.
It is so good to be back !
BMone - things come in threes, but I am way past three events, so now I am worrying that its going to be three lots of three things !
Lily - word verification often inspires gobbledygook phrases. 'nckrd' - totally !
My sitemeter password - offered by them - is a well loved swear word - I swear !

Tuesday 13 February 2007 at 20:52:00 GMT  
Blogger The Goldfish said...

Hooray! Welcome back Sally, we missed you. :-)

Tuesday 13 February 2007 at 23:52:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

Thank you and Bless you Goldfish. I shall be dropping by soon.

Wednesday 14 February 2007 at 14:51:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back Sally! And happy Valentine's Day since I've just found your post.

You and Goldfish are obviously sisters under the skin (see her blog of disasters).

I hope you have used up all your bad luck for the year.

Your word recognition code this time is "txcckc" so take it as a welcoming kiss. [blushes at forwardness]

Wednesday 14 February 2007 at 18:14:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

Oh Charles !

Wednesday 14 February 2007 at 18:25:00 GMT  
Blogger FSJL said...

Good to see you back!!!

Wednesday 14 February 2007 at 23:51:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

Thank you Sire !

Thursday 15 February 2007 at 09:28:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment ... all comments are moderated and will be published soon.

<< Home