Thursday 2 August 2007

And ... relax ! Tea ?

Thank you for your good wishes and support.

It is all fine. Its scar tissue. OK, lots of scar tissue in a big lump that was not there, discernibly, a month ago, so I have another bump in a different place, not hidden by the nascent fringe, much smaller than the original big osteoma, and this new bump may not go away. Or it may, or get bigger, or smaller, or stay. So, its a good thing I am not vain. Ish.

Very efficient service at Wessex Neuro. Quiet clean calm. Sign me in, shift things around so there is room for the wheelchair, inject the contrast medium (left arm vein) pop me on the narrow metal body-shaped thingy, truss me up so I can't move, CT scan (2 quiet minutes), un-truss, restore power (= restore me to the powerchair!) take some bloods (right arm vein) and have a cup of tea.

Tea. The ritual of tea. The reassurance of tea. If I am drinking tea it must be alright. If I am drinking tea they are assuming, or have decided even before the scan results are through, that there is nothing drastic to do today.

I am sorry if I was alarmist. It is what I felt.

There is just a little tinge of 'what-if' in case the bloods show anything underlying - any minor inflammation. I go back to Neuro in a fortnight to be re-assured again.

I have to react 'worst-case scenario', in case it is a 'worst-case scenario', because there is no-one else to organise things for me, to look after me, or mine. Just me. So sort it out as soon as possible. Or have it sorted out as soon as possible.

Sorted.

I am reminded of Charles Dawson's reassurance last November when I was struggling with the 30-or-so glinting staples across my head: "Remember what the Guide says: DON'T PANIC"

Thank you again blogging Friends for your comments.

11 Comments:

Blogger The Goldfish said...

Good. I for one wasn't alarmed , but concerned. This is your head, after all, and heads are kind of important. It was at least on the outside, which in the head department is always good. Personally, I suspected you'd got too many brains in there and they were beginning to push their way out. ;-)


(I really ought to be in bed).

Thursday 2 August 2007 at 22:55:00 BST  
Blogger Jess K said...

i guess tea help to relax..

sipping keemun black tea from teacuppa.com

Friday 3 August 2007 at 10:45:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Oh Goldfish, you flatter, you !

Its the worry that's pushing its way out ... I can feel the anxiety over so many things recently, just forcing its way out, to make room for sunshine (yeah at last a summer) and relaxation. Stuff social services.

Brains, ha ! I am old you know, and the HRT is only just keeping me ticking over.

I learnt from my mother, only the other week (she has a way of owning family information and not sharing it) that two of her sisters had bone osteomas, one in her heel and had shoes built to accommodate, and the other (sister) on her collar bone. So all in all, I am happier about the osteomas than I have been for four and a half years, since I first postponed surgery - until the disabled facilities and adaptations were built. (I have been here before!)

Now, a weekend of blogging catch up - after I have played with my new WAV due this pm.

Thank you for your company and thoughts and words.

Friday 3 August 2007 at 11:41:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Welcome Jess K from NY USA - tea drinkers are the best of people.

Friday 3 August 2007 at 11:42:00 BST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I never get a cuppa tea when I visit medics here in the States! ::pout:: Sounds right lovely, though.

Friday 3 August 2007 at 13:57:00 BST  
Blogger Cusp said...

Ahhhhhhhh! Deep sigh of relief and long slow sip of tea, the British salve and comfort.

So glad all is well

Cusp :-)

Friday 3 August 2007 at 22:16:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Andrea, it is not usual here; that is what made it so special. Usually, its a treck across miles of dismal corridors to a noisy crowded cafe. Although, some hospitals have 'Friends of ... Hospital' where little old ladies (sexist but true) serve proper tea made in a proper tea pot, with proper milk from a milk bottle (not a plastic carton) in a proper milk jug. None is quite as good as tea at home though.

Tell me, what sort of tea is your preference?

I'm an Earl Grey, lightly brewed, a generous splash (less than a good dollop) of semi skimmed milk, and half a teaspoon of golden (not white, nor brown) granulated sugar. And the water in this area is locally sourced, from aquifers in the chalk, and the surrounding acres are a protected water source area. So chalky in fact that the water is very hard and I spend a little fortune on water filter cartridges. Tea, all essential to make Tea.

Friday 3 August 2007 at 22:44:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Hello again Cusp; it is magic isn't it. Who was it said something along the lines of: "Tea, where would we be without tea, I am so glad I was born after tea was 'invented' " ?
or words to that effect.

Friday 3 August 2007 at 22:46:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Just for the record, after Jess K there were a number of tea promoters that arrived, spam-like, in my inbox.

Friday 3 August 2007 at 22:48:00 BST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm quite partial to Earl Grey (I filter our water, owing to the fact that it's full of dissolved limestone), with a wee bit of honey and a little milk, or more frequently, some vanilla soymilk.

I think we could Tea together quite nicely! I'll bring some of my fab [gluten-free] brownies -- they're "to die for"!

Sunday 5 August 2007 at 14:44:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

We could ! If you let me have your gluten-free brownies receipt, I will prepare them in advance, then all you will have to do is catch the plane !

Sunday 5 August 2007 at 15:13:00 BST  

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment ... all comments are moderated and will be published soon.

<< Home