Friday 13 July 2007

Yea Who Dance Not, Know Not What We Are Knowing

Rayon de soleil - Louis Janmot (1814-1892)
Beethoven's Ninth Symphony on the telly, starting the BBC Proms season from the Albert Hall.

Ode to Joy: "...whoever has been lucky enough to be a friend to a friend ..."

In the choir, singing it ten years ago; Alexander in the audience at The Lighthouse in Poole. Rest Peacefully Alex.
On the television; from a camera on stage, shots of the audience at the Albert Hall, brought it back to me, when I was there, amongst many others, looking out over the audience from centre front of stage, singing Hector Berlioz's Grande Messe des Morts, a few weeks after the marriage ended, almost two decades ago.
Not singing in choirs now, nor circle dancing, but Joining in the Dance again ... reading blogs:
Follow this link to http://stanmorehill.blogspot.com/ where FSJL writes:
"... the shadow is as needed as the light ..."
a true reminder for those times when the dark shadows seem all there is.
Also:

"...a rule that's not enforced is not a rule
just paperwork that aims to please the eye."
which I will take along with me and quote at the next local NHS Primary Care Trust's strategy consultation workshop.

From 'The Truest Warning':
"... the world's a better place
for those who dare
we see the rules and know
they are not fair."

Which neatly sums up my feelings about the blasted IB50 Incapacity for Work form sat staring at me now.
Thank you FSJL, a right royal poet, whose writings are as constant as the tides.
My post title is taken from another great choral work, Gustav Holst's Hymn of Jesus. Holst's words are from the Apocryphal Acts of St John which he translated from the original Greek. Powerful words, sufficiently mystical to be capable of carrying a personal meaning for one's Self. More information and the full text from the website of that great institution The Halifax Choral Society www.halifaxchoralsociety.co.uk/hymnofjesus.html (The Edit Html tab is dead.)

Singing and Dancing were my great loves in another life, now I read and write, and blog.

And sing along with the telly.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cusp said...

I miss singing. At school I was always in the choir. It was something I *was* good at and happy to admit to myself.

I still sing and enjoy music but don't have the stamina to sing in a choir. Having said that I still apprecaite a fine voice in whatever genre

Monday 16 July 2007 at 15:16:00 BST  
Blogger seahorse said...

Hi Sally, have replied to your comment over at mine. Loved reading your memories of choral life. I too enjoyed singing before illness struck and managed a bit of the Proms as well. So we were both enjoying it sort of together.
My fave choral experience was Rachmaninov's Vespers sung in Prague's St Vitus' Cathedral. I cried, it was so beautiful, the whole experience. I was on tour with my university choir. I feel sad not to be singing now, but glad that I had the experience when I did.

Monday 16 July 2007 at 22:29:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Cusp - this stamina thing is a b....r isn't it !!

I tried a small community choir a couple of years back, which met for 90 minutes once a fortnight, which was just about do-able, but they got ambitious and joined another larger community choir and ... became inaccessible !

But I miss singing in a group, feeling the sound waves around was what I miss about live music.

Tuesday 17 July 2007 at 09:40:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Hi Seahorse; there must be something special in bloggers who sing !

I have never done a choir tour, and was very envious of my Bump's choir tour to Venice, via Cathedrals through France. She said it was amazing, the sounds in the different spaces, and the reactions of the people in the cities they visited.

What does still work for me, in order to get the physical experience of being in sound again , is sitting in Salisbury Cathedral for evensong; due to disabled access I get to 'park' very close to the choir, and whether it is the girl choristers or the boys, the experience is physical as well as sensual, you can almost see the notes glittering up into the high roof.

And the Cathedral is totally accessible so perfect for a wet summer afternoon.

Tuesday 17 July 2007 at 09:46:00 BST  
Blogger seahorse said...

you can almost see the notes glittering up into the high roof

That's exactly what I experienced singing in cathedrals around Eastern Europe. Your voice separates out from the throng, and you can track each and every sound as it floats up to the ceiling. Amazing. Goose bumps just thinking about it.

Tuesday 17 July 2007 at 21:15:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Goose bumps ... a physical effect ! Tingling up my spine.

Sound is healing (not wanting to sound new-agey you understand) but recorded sound is not experienced by the body in the same way as physical sound.

I have a young friend who is a communications expert (hush hush) and he fell in love with another friend who is a professional singer in chamber choirs, and he asked me what is it that is experienced when singing in a group ... my description of physical and psychological effects, he turned into scientific terminology ... I am getting in deep here, don't really know what I am talking about, but it made sense at the time !

So, as you well know, your piano is very important.

As is singing in the bath ... !

(isn't blogging wonderful !!)

Tuesday 17 July 2007 at 22:13:00 BST  
Blogger seahorse said...

It is indeed. Glad to have you back :-)

Wednesday 18 July 2007 at 00:05:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Very glad to be able to be back.

Wednesday 18 July 2007 at 16:41:00 BST  

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment ... all comments are moderated and will be published soon.

<< Home