Monday 1 May 2006

Sally's Blog Against Disablism 1st May 2006

Disabled by my medical conditions,
or
Dis-Abled by society's attitudes and the built environment.

Hold those two opposites in mind while you consider the statements in this Blog.
Much of what follows is familiar territory for people with disabilities and this is my attempt to add to the awareness of those who are not.
ALWAYS REMEMBERING - IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE
1 in 7

Disabled - OR - Dis-Abled
My Wheelchair gets in the way of other people at the
Shops
Theatre
Cinema
Concert Hall
Bank
Hospital waiting room
Doctors' Surgery
Do I apologise for my wheelchair
Or should the built environment provide ample space for
wheelchair access, manoeuvring, stopping and parking.
I need to use the toilet just the same as non-disabled people,
but using a wheelchair means I cannot go the village hall for
craft fairs, pantomimes, art exhibitions, theatre groups, parish meetings,
weddings, wakes and parties.
Should I give up on joining in village events
Or should the Village Hall committee provide a wheelchair
accessible toilet(and a wheelchair accessible fire escape, just in case)
In the summer I cannot go for 'Walks'
in the countryside, because of stiles rather than gates
at the beach, due to lack of boarded walk-ways
by the river in the village because it is a narrow overgrown rutted path
I can't do these things because I use a wheelchair
Funding should be made available for my right of access
under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 where the
designation 'on foot only' also applies to Class 1,2,3 wheelchairs.
I cannot make my garden colourful and productive
Because I use a wheelchair and the ground is too soft
the incline too steep
the grass is too high
and the soil is too low
Because there are no grants for wheelchair
access in my garden, for paths, ramps, raised beds,
and no -one has yet invented a grass mower to attach to my wheelchair
My neighbour told me my garden is wasted on me
Because she is ignorant
Because I am disabled
I am over-weight
Because the drugs that keep me alive
contribute to my weight gain
Because I am lazy and eat too much
I sometimes look a mess
Because on means tested and disability benefits
my clothing budget is severely restricted
Because I can't be bothered to take a pride in my appearance.
I have not had a holiday for 8 years
Because I cannot afford one
Why do I need a holiday, I don't have to go out to work.
My neighbour's husband threatened me with his fist
when I proved he had damaged my property
Because I am a disabled female who lives alone
Because I asked for it
BUT LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE ....
I employ staff who do the ...
housework, laundry, ironing, cleaning, shopping
You work 9-5 then have to do it all.
My mortgage was paid off by my medical insurance 20 years early
You have to work another 20 years before you have paid yours.
and last but by no means least ...
My husband left at the first signs of my disabilities
saying: " I need a wife who can support me in my career"
That was a real bonus to becoming disabled, which I only
appreciated once the shock had worn off.
My Physical Disabilities have been a golden pathway
to meeting many lovely, intelligent, articulate, amusing
entertaining, beautiful, wise
people with disabilities - look around all the other Blogs.
1 in 7
It Could Happen to You - Help Change Society Now

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger The Goldfish said...

Thank you Sally, that's excellent! :-)

Not much more I can say than that.

Monday 1 May 2006 at 11:05:00 BST  
Blogger Kim said...

Of all the posts I've read today, that one hit me in the chest like a ton of bricks.

It was deadly in its simplicity.

Thank you for sharing a glimpse into your life and experiences. I thought I understood the disabilism issue.

I understand it better now.

Tuesday 2 May 2006 at 00:23:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only the content, but I love the way you have laid this out, Sally, into a pathway in its own right.

Tuesday 2 May 2006 at 20:22:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Thank you Goldfish, Kim and Charles. Putting it out there makes it easier to bear, reading your comments is today's good moment.

Tuesday 2 May 2006 at 20:43:00 BST  
Blogger BloggingMone said...

Sally, I am still trying to catch up with all the BADD posts. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for the reminder that disablism isn't just a "Government thing" or a legal issue. It starts with people.
I agree to what you have said about "the golden pathway". Even though I have no impairment I have made the same experience, which I am very grateful for.

Wednesday 3 May 2006 at 12:50:00 BST  
Blogger Sage said...

This is just lovely!

Friday 5 May 2006 at 19:57:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Thank you Bloggingmone, your thougths and comments are appreciate. Did you see my following comment on your BADD blog about Rick Wakeman ?
Thank you piny and Sage, I will visit/re-visit your blogs as soon as possible.
Its great that BADD is so big that it is continuing to be read all week.

Friday 5 May 2006 at 20:56:00 BST  
Blogger IrrationalPoint said...

Just found your blog -- loved this post.

--IP

Saturday 6 May 2006 at 12:01:00 BST  
Blogger QuakerDave said...

Can I print this out (with attribution, of course) and share it with my students?

They need a clue, some of them.

Like the blog: linking to you.

Sunday 14 May 2006 at 19:17:00 BST  
Blogger Sally said...

Thank you Quaker Dave (or is it that chap from Monty Python ?)
I would be vey happy for you to share my life with your students, and answer any questions that may arise. I also recommend, if you have not seen it already, Lady Bracknell's post '1 in 7'.

Wednesday 17 May 2006 at 16:57:00 BST  

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment ... all comments are moderated and will be published soon.

<< Home