Saturday 2 December 2006

A hat, not A Hat

It is going to be months until I am no longer eligible for the Frankenstein's Monster's Missus look-a-like competition, so I have considered my social diary for the foreseable future, and given thought to how I will appear. It is now obvious that I need another winter hat, as my work-a-day keep-me-warm-in-winter hat has seen better days, but to answer Charles Dawson's comment on my last post, I don't need A Hat like the splendid one that Lady Bracknell commissioned for her recent attendance at Buckingham Palace.

This is deepest Dorset and, in the dark days approaching the winter solstice, the rain is filling the rivers and water meadows, as it is meant to and is likely to continue for some time, so the downpours are one consideration. Also to be considered is that outside of the conurbations, the staple of Dorset ladies outfitters is tweed, waxed cotton and leather (not the tight and shiny niche market stuff, which would frighten the horses). Summer hats are so much easier.

The County Town's hunting/shooting/fishing shop supplied this new hat which I am very pleased with. Obviously this is not me, not even thirty years ago, and the bow needed a bit of re-modelling, but on the whole it will do very nicely. Reactions have varied, from: "...very stylish dear.." to "... that's a bit posh !".
Posh is fine. Posh overcomes any negative wheelchair effects - yes, it does happen, every time I go out.
(Its not me, its not, its them.)

Now that is sorted, I have to consider what to do, how to be, indoors - adorned or unadorned, covered or uncovered, considerate of others' squeamishness, or don't give a shit.

This would cover the dot dot dash effect of the beginning-to-heal scabs (is there a more refined word ?) on my forehead but the hand signals may be mis-understood by those people behind me at the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra concert.

I have tried scarves in all possible styles but silk slips and the silk rustling with every slight movement is amplified in Meniere's noise recruitment, in fact anything near my ears is not possible and anything on the stubbled scar that is not silk is too harsh. I am such a tender little flower.

So, unadored it is then. Move over Beethoven, cue the Munster's intro.

(Editorial post script:
Instead of correcting 'unadorned' I hereby acknowledge it was a Freudian slip.)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a lace cap, such as used to be worn by ladies up to the First World War? I don't think it would rustle.

Or why can't you wear a hat indoors? I thought females could without being held discourteous.

Sunday 3 December 2006 at 09:21:00 GMT  
Blogger spotted elephant said...

Oh Sally, you are being silly. You are most certainly adored. :)

Sunday 3 December 2006 at 19:32:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

Charles you are not taking my dilema seriously; lace would catch awefully in all that stuble, and the whole point is NOT to draw attention to myself. A hat in the concert hall would seriously distract the audience at the BSO.
Next time you up-arse in the mud with the chickens I will cheer !

Sunday 3 December 2006 at 21:01:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

Oh Ellie, you sweetheart, thank you, but although deep inside I know I am, I look in the mirror and ... write a blog to take my mind off it ! Seriously, thank you.

Sunday 3 December 2006 at 21:08:00 GMT  
Blogger Lily said...

Fringes are in at the moment you know - how about the traditional female pick-me up - a new hairdo?

Wednesday 6 December 2006 at 22:35:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

Hi Lily - fringes are all very well (I had a dreadful one throughout childhood cut by my mother - enough said!) but you need hair for a fringe - all I have is stubble !

I consulted my faithful (for 15 years) hairdresser prior to surgery and we decided to cut my fine silver grey hair in a straight bob quite a bit shorter, to last until the 7" scar has healed - so you see, I am a bit stuck, not having much material for a new hairdo.

I love the hat tho' !

Friday 8 December 2006 at 19:27:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment ... all comments are moderated and will be published soon.

<< Home