Wednesday 14 February 2007

Why has it sunk to the bottom ?


Today's picture is the Chalice Well at Glastonbury, Somerset UK.

The gliche inspiring this post's title question has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with Blogger forcing me to upgrade (but I am still a bit prickly about the lack of choice). The gliche is that my right hand side column appears to have sunk to the bottom of the current page. In case it is not visible to readers at this stage of their reading, scroll down to the last visible post for all the usual including list of previous posts, my links 'People to See' and 'Places to Go'. Basic stuff. Sometimes all of it has sunk to the bottom, sometimes just half of it so that the picture and basic profile is at the top, but the links and archives are at the bottom.

Please tell me what you see when you read my page. Do you, dear reader, see the same as that which I see ? Or do you experience an alternative universe - how would we know ! And if anyone else knows this template, which I like and don't want to change, is there something I am doing wrong, or not doing, that results in the sunk right column ?

Is it perhaps connected to how I used to publish a new post in Old Blogger; I never did understood the difference between the options. Now those options have disappeared. I have looked at my template, and found the point in the Html at which the side bar begins, but do not know (a) where it ends, or (b) how to move it back or even (c) where to move it back to. New Blogger gives me an option to fiddle with the template, but says I have to opt into their new template and start over. I'm tired ! And - I am a creative little flower for goodness sake, and way back in '72 at ICL in London I decided computer language was not for me, and I just want to blog, ok ! and make it look like I know what I am doing. Steep learning curves give me vertigo.

So while I have been away Blogger has reinvented itself and forced me to do the same. I will get over it. But where is the choice in all this. And, just checking, the content is MINE - isn't it ? What happens if I decide to make a £million from publishing it, between two hard covers, via a printing press, a publisher, and a book deal and resulting healthy bank balance - fantasy land I know, but there is a principle to understand here. If I did - would Blogger pounce and demand the takings or a slice of the action ?!

I have considered composing and saving first in Word, then copying it onto Blogger, but when I tried that the creative juices did not flow, I was just the work-a-day-ordinary-everyday Sally that the Muse has a hard time getting through to.

It is the knowledge that I am putting it out there beyond my perceived boundaries, that makes it work, for me.

By the way, this new facility to add labels, has let me let you know when my blog reality is really just fantasy. Just in case new readers came upon The Elusive Dorset Dragon and wondered !

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger The Goldfish said...

All your words are your own. This is simply a publishing medium, and you are effectively self-publishing when you click "Post".

What Blogger would be far more concerned about than the money-making potential of taking a cut out of anything earnt through blogging, is the potential for liable and other civil actions against it, should it provide any more than the software in the equation.

And yes, labels are fun. I have labelled all my posts "General Nonsense". ;-)

Wednesday 14 February 2007 at 16:41:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

There will have to be a new dictionary definition of 'nonsense' to accommodate the erudition, love and brilliance, that is the Goldfish's nonsense !

Wednesday 14 February 2007 at 18:19:00 GMT  
Blogger Lily said...

Unlike 50% of my body fat, your side column has not sunk to the bottom and I love your new template - very swish!

Wednesday 14 February 2007 at 19:55:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

Thanks Lily, for the feedback; it is a rather sophisticated black isn't it, and black is SO slimming.

Thursday 15 February 2007 at 09:25:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was ICL Imperial College? I went to dances there when Ah were a lad.

Never scored, though. The ICL women were far too intelligent.

Thursday 15 February 2007 at 10:43:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

No ICL was International Computers Limited on Euston Road, arch enemies of IBM.
Scored ? I am not surprised ... 'paying court to' is more likely to succeed. (I was born in the wrong age.)

Thursday 15 February 2007 at 11:26:00 GMT  
Blogger BloggingMone said...

Your blog is looking wonderful and on my screen all links are in the place where they are supposed to be. Thanks for letting me know that I am living in an alternative universe!

Thursday 15 February 2007 at 11:39:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

Thank you BMone - it must be me in the alternative universe and everyone else sees my universe as it really is.

Thursday 15 February 2007 at 17:13:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment ... all comments are moderated and will be published soon.

<< Home