Tuesday 12 December 2006

This is from, and for, Spotted Elephant


This wonderful happy Elephant is from Spotted Elephant's blog the other day, a celebratory one for her.

Today, reacting to something she read elsewhere, she posts on Racism and Mental Illness.

As Blogger has prevented me adding a comment to her post on three occasions this evening, I am putting it here, for her.

Please read Spotted Ellie's post first, for the context of my comment to Spotted Elephant:

I do understand why this upset you, and I think it is good to post when upset, from the initial gut reaction. We battle against ignorance, which clothes itself in clever words, all the time. To say that Racism is a Mental Illness is absurd, but worse; a dangerous absurdity. Racism is a choice, not a mental illness. Mental illness, any chronic illness, is an affliction, not a choice. Obvious really.

4 Comments:

Blogger spotted elephant said...

OK, Blogger ate my first comment, so I'm getting it too! (If you get the first comment, feel free to trash this one.)

Thank you so much for summing things up so perfectly. :)

I've been trying to discuss this issue calmly, and I'm having a really hard time. How can people not see that labeling racism as a mental disorder is highly offensive both to people with mental disorders, and to people who've suffered from racism?

Wednesday 13 December 2006 at 22:34:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

Hi Spotted Elephant !
Blogger is a bit of a blugger at the moment, and Charles Dawson has also had problems.

Anyway ... discussion won't change others' negative entrenched attitudes; the harder they argue their own position, the more we know they are not open to worthwhile discussion.

Following your post and my comments, my site meter registered a number of new visitors, one of which was from www.furiousseasons.com who, I think, referred to your post and commentators as the "intelligensia".
I think it was a compliment !
But, being tired, I could be wrong.

Wednesday 13 December 2006 at 22:47:00 GMT  
Blogger spotted elephant said...

Intelligensia? Me?

Wow, even if it was an insult, I've never been called that before! ;)

Thursday 14 December 2006 at 18:52:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

Let's hear it for the INTELLIGENSIA ... WOO WOO WOO YEAH !

Thursday 14 December 2006 at 21:54:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment ... all comments are moderated and will be published soon.

<< Home